F-18 display setting problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 1 18:48:26 UTC 2013

In a new Fedora-18/64 bit install in a new computer I am unable to set
the resolution above 1024x768 at 60HZ and would like to set it higher.

I found the following:.

[root at box10 ~]# ll /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
total 4
-rw-rw-r--. 1 root root 161 Feb 28 04:42 00-anaconda-keyboard.conf

To which I attempted to add configuration data for this ViewSonic
VX2035WM monitor, trying to increase the resolution to the
manufacturer's spec.

The following does not work. I got a black screen and had to bring up
another terminal and remove the file in order to reboot. The truth is I
don't really know what I'm doing, perhaps someone who understand this
can point out what needs to be done?

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor-conf

         Section "Monitor"
              Identifier             "Monitor0"
         EndSection

         Section "Device"
              Identifier             "Device0"
              Driver                 "vesa" #Choose the driver used for
         this monitor
         EndSection

         Section "Screen"
              Identifier             "Screen0"  #Collapse Monitor and
         Device section to Screen section
              Device                 "Device0"
              Monitor                "Monitor0"
              DefaultDepth            16 #Choose the depth (16||24)
              SubSection             "Display"
                  Depth               16
                  Modes              "1680x1050_60.00" #Choose the resolution
              EndSubSection
         EndSection

Any suggestion appreciated.

Bob