F-18 display setting problem -

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 1 23:40:52 UTC 2013

On 03/01/2013 09:49 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 02:42 PM, g wrote:
>> give this a try:
<>
cutting that out. sending full layout.

> Well that's an improvement in that it works however I still don't have
> an option of selecting higher than 1024x768.
>
> Section "Device"
>              Identifier  "Videocard0"
>              Driver      "ati"
>
> I wonder if the ati driver is appropriate. The processor is an AMD A8
> 3850 and the GPU is apparently integral to it.

good question. i have no idea, but you can find out with command;

  ]$ lspci

which will list all of your pci hardware, among which will/should/may
be your graphics chip.

   ]$ lshw|less

will give you a complete hardware listing. "less" is because it is a
long listing and it will finish before you see what you want to. :)

> The only thing I've found so far:
>
>     Integrated Graphics
>
>   * Type AMD Radeon HD 6550D
>   * Base Frequency 600 MHz

i was not familiar with the amd a8-3850 cpu/gpu. a quick search via
ixquick.com [i am thru with gobble and their tracking] to find out a
little more about the cpu/gpu chip. nothing to say how it appears.

amd now owns ati, so your driver ?should? be correct. or so i would
imagine, because i see no reason for things to be different.

here is the full listing of what i have in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file;

=+=+=
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	ModelName    "Monitor 1280x1024"
	HorizSync    31.5 - 81.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "dpms"
  Gamma   1.00  1.00  1.00  # created by KGamma
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "ati"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800" "1280x768" \
                         "1280x720" "1152x864" "1152x768" "1024x768" \
                         "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "640x400"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
=+=+=

*note* my monitor is not maxed at 1280x1024, but i set it that way
because if i go higher, text/type gets too small to read.

i do not know if 'horzSynic' and 'vertRefresh' are necessary, but i put
them anyway.

what you may want/need to do is look up your monitor to see for sure what
it can do.

as for the "Screen" section, "Modes" are what my graphics card can do.
i tend to believe that you will need to have capabilities listed. if
not listed, you may not get what you want.

something you might try is changing "1680x1050_60.00" to just
"1680x1050" to see what happens.

a few years/releases back, there was an "x" command that would read your
hardware and set up the xorg.conf file. i do not recall the name of it,
but i believe it has been pulled for reasons of determining setup with
another way. i do not recall 'new way', perhaps someone else reading
your thread may help on that.

later.
--

peace out.