Multiboot question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 2 01:20:18 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 01:01 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 01 March 2013, Christopher Meng sent:
> > And,  fedoraforum suggest me using ext4 instead of lvm.
>
> If you're never going to span a partition across more than one drive
> (which can be dangerous - if one of the drives fail, you lose what's on
> both of them), and if you're never going to use the snapshot feature of
> LVM to duplicate one of its volumes, then there's little point in using
> LVM on your drive.  They would appear to be the two main reasons to
> deliberately choose to use LVM.
----
actually, I have had an occasion (granted just one) where I had a really
large (4TB) LVM and added more drives to the system and created a new
'PV' but I joined them together as a single 'logical' volume. I believe
that is what you are referring to called 'spanning'.

It was a breeze and this was a server with RAID 10 so there's little
risk when you lose a drive.

LVM's provide a lot of added flexibility at the price of complexity.

Craig

believed to be clean.