F-18 display setting problem -

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 11:18:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 21:18:21 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Allegedly, on or about 02 March 2013, Marko Vojinovic sent:
> > or with a faulty VGA cable
>
> Or, just so nobody is left in the lurch, an apparently not faulty
> brand new cable, that simply hasn't got any wiring between the two
> pins that carry the EDID signals.  Some cheap cables only bother wire
> up the video, sync, and ground pins.

Yeah, that could be called "broken by design". :-)

> And there are some monitors that don't bother to provide EDID, at all.
> Though, I only expect that slackness on very old, or cheap, monitors,
> or television sets with VGA inputs.
>
> I do wonder how well EDID circuitry handles hot plugging, and whether
> it gets blown by people un/plugging while all the gear is running
> (monitors and computers).

I never ever ever (un)plug a VGA cable on a live system. Not even on
laptops, where this is supposed to be safe. I had some very bad
experiences with doing that --- burnt graphics cards, burnt monitors,
burnt motherboards, etc. Since then I typically disconnect everything
from the power outlet before mangling video cables.

Best, :-)
Marko