Preupgrade fc15->fc16

Tod Thomas fr33zone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 15:10:54 UTC 2013

On 02/20/2013 12:40 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 20.02.2013 18:35, schrieb Tod Thomas:
>> I just completed upgrading a FC14 virtual machine running under virtual box and it went pretty well.  Now I am
>> trying to do the same upgrade only on a FC15 standalone machine to FC16.  It looks like it can't find any of the
>> FC15 repos which is odd since FC14 went so well.  Should I expect this to work or is the FC15 release just too
>> old?
> F16 is EOL now
> F15 and F14 are EOL since a very long time
>
>> Why did the FC14 upgrade go so well?
> luck by selected a mirror which not deleted the files

As it turns out there are a lot of mirrors that have quite an extensive
inventory of Fedora releases.  The trick is to find one and:

- login as root
- download the current releases.txt
(http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/releases.txt)
-   hack it for the version you want to upgrade to, removing all others
     - comment out both the mirrorlist and installmirrorlist lines
     - insert baseurl and installurl lines pointing them to your mirror repo
- run preupgrade (not preupgrad-cli)

Here's my uncommented fc15->fc16 release.txt:

[Fedora 16 (Verne)]
stable=True
preupgrade-ok=True
version=16
baseurl=http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/fedora/linux/releases/16/Fedora/$basearch/os/
installurl=http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/fedora/linux/releases/16/Fedora/$basearch/os/

Both my machines are rolled by hand.  I upgraded from fc14 on one
machine and fc15 on another to fc16 without a problem.  It seems that
preupgrade-cli doesn't read the releases.txt from the current directory
(in my case root),  I'm  not sure that's consistent or an error on my
part but running preupgrade worked fine.  I was kind of concerned
reading all the problems with preupgrade but everything went without a
problem.  I'll be trying fc16->fc17 if I can this weekend.

Oh, and something reactived my Caps Lock key along the way.  Grrr :)

- Tod