rsyslogd and services in general

Tod Thomas fr33zone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 15:22:49 UTC 2013

Ok, old school here, Saturday morning hacking. What is the new method
for managing system services? Could someone point me to some good
documentation? The reason I ask is nothing is being written to
/var/log/messages and /etc/init.d/ doesn't seem to be a viable option
anymore. I tried:

/sbin/service rsyslog status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status rsyslog.service
rsyslog.service - System Logging Service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sat, 02 Mar 2013 09:50:50 -0500; 24min ago
Main PID: 2584 (rsyslogd)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/rsyslog.service
└ 2584 /sbin/rsyslogd -n -c 5

Looks good but logger "test";ls -lt /var/log/messages shows:

-rw-------. 1 root root 0 Feb 24 10:48 /var/log/messages

I must be missing something. TIA.

- Tod