F-18 display setting problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 2 18:15:56 UTC 2013

On 03/02/2013 04:24 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Well, first of all, you probably want to put "radeon" driver up there
> instead of "ati".
Did that ...

> Second, the data about your PCI hardware, including the graphics card,
> is displayed by "lspci -v", which should confirm that you have an ATI
> Radeon graphics card.
[bobg at box10 ~]$ lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor
Root Complex
     Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root
Complex
     Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6550D] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
     Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp Device 1707
     Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
     I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
     Memory at fef00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
     Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
     Capabilities: <access denied>
     Kernel driver in use: radeon

00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek
HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
     Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek HDMI
Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
     Memory at fef44000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
     Capabilities: <access denied>
     Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
............snip...........

> Third, you want to remove any extra hardware (like a KVM switch) from
> between the monitor and the computer, and connect the two directly.
> This will ensure that the EDID data from the monitor is being read
> properly, if possible.
There is no KVM, etc.

> Fourth, you should tell us whether this was a clean install or an
> upgrade.
New install via Fedora LiveUsb Creator on external hard drive. I've
found that often works when flash drives wont even though they are
recognized?
>   If it was a clean install, you should send us the content
> of /var/log/Xorg.0.log file (it may be large, maybe put it in a pastebin
> or something). This file can tell all the details about what is going
> wrong with automatic resolution detection and EDID readout.
I have been screwing with "Dropbox" for more than an hour and still
don't know how to provide a link to the Xorg.0.log file I put there?

> Fifth, if you did an upgrade from a previous Fedora version, there may
> be a lot of cruft left from a previous X (mis)configuration. In that
> case, you want to remove all custom drivers that you may have added
> before, rename /etc/xorg.conf.d/ to something else, and reboot the
> system to let it start with default automatic configuration. The
> automatic configuration usually Just Works, and is by far the best
> method for configuring X.
Only "cruft" might be from various attempts to create a working file.

> Finally, please don't just copy-paste other people's xorg.conf files.
> This is just ignorant and wrong
Sorry, I must plead ignorance ...
> --- every hardware combination has a
> different configuration, and it is most likely that someone else's
> xorg.conf file will *not* work on your system. Or if it does, it may
> work suboptimally and create a lot of minor glitches all over the
> system.
>
> HTH,:-)
Thanks,

Bob