sendmail & Verizon

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Mar 5 04:11:52 UTC 2013

Sorry, just re-subscripbed after a long absence.  Not sure if my
original went through, so I'm resending.  Sorry if it is a duplicate, I
wouldn't have seen any of the early responses....

Once upon a time, I was using a standard, out of the box, sendmail
configuration to send email directly from my computer to any other on
the internet.  Nice.

Then, while RCN was my ISP, RCN decided that home users couldn't send
email (something about stopping SPAM) directly to the internat, and all
email had to be forwarded through RCN's email servers.  Fine, I added:

> define(`SMART_HOST',`relay:[smtp.rcn.com]')dnl

to my sendmail.mc file.

Then, later, I switched to Verizon from RCN.  I not only had to change
the SMART_HOST line to:

> define(`SMART_HOST',`relay:[outgoing.verizon.net]')dnl
> define(`RELAY_MAILER',`smtps')dnl
> define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')dnl

but I also had to set up /etc/mail/authinfo and add support for it to
sendmail.mc:

> FEATURE(`authinfo', `hash -o /etc/mail/authinfo.db')dnl

and my /etc/mail/authinfo file looks like:

> AuthInfo:outgoing.verizon.net "I:userId" "P:password" "M:PLAIN"

And everything works fine.

NOW:  Verizon wants to:

	1) change the outgoing server name to smtp.verizon.net
	2) change the port from 587 (MSA) to 465 (SMTPS), and
	3) require SSL for communication.

Sure, I can change my iPhone settings, and each Thunderbird instance in
the house (and it works), but I want to keep the home network using *my*
sendmail server for email, and have *IT* forward to Verizon.  (Besides,
I have a few scripts that want to send a few housekeeping emails without
invoking Thunderbird.)  I tried the obvious changes, but I think I'm
missing something:

> define(`SMART_HOST',`relay:[smtp.verizon.net]')dnl
> define(`RELAY_MAILER',`smtps')dnl
> define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 465')dnl

> AuthInfo:smtp.verizon.net "I:userId" "P:password" "M:PLAIN"

This configuration results in "Communication Timed Out with
smtp.verizon.net" or "read error from smtp.verizon.net", and mail justs
sits in my local mqueue waiting to be delivered.

Can some sendmail guru please point out what I've missed?

Please keep the "switch to another MTA" to yourself.  I've been using
sendmail at home since 1996!

THANKS!

--
Kevin J. Cummings