sendmail & Verizon

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Mar 5 22:45:46 UTC 2013

On 03/04/2013 10:11 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> NOW:  Verizon wants to:
>
> 	1) change the outgoing server name to smtp.verizon.net
> 	2) change the port from 587 (MSA) to 465 (SMTPS), and
> 	3) require SSL for communication.
>
> Sure, I can change my iPhone settings, and each Thunderbird instance in
> the house (and it works), but I want to keep the home network using *my*
> sendmail server for email, and have *IT* forward to Verizon.  (Besides,
> I have a few scripts that want to send a few housekeeping emails without
> invoking Thunderbird.)  I tried the obvious changes, but I think I'm
> missing something:
>
>> define(`SMART_HOST',`relay:[smtp.verizon.net]')dnl
>> define(`RELAY_MAILER',`smtps')dnl
>> define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 465')dnl
>
>> AuthInfo:smtp.verizon.net "I:userId" "P:password" "M:PLAIN"
>
> This configuration results in "Communication Timed Out with
> smtp.verizon.net" or "read error from smtp.verizon.net", and mail justs
> sits in my local mqueue waiting to be delivered.

The simple answer is that sendmail can't do that by itself as it has no
support for client-side SSL. You need to use a program such as _stunnel_
to provide the encryption wrapper. Here is a fedoraproject wiki posting
that describes the basics:

   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Configure_sendmail_as_a_client_for_SMTPs

That's basically what I had running back in 2007 when Comcast didn't
allow global access to port 587. I'd post the whole setup that I used,
but my old sysVinit script for starting an stunnel service wouldn't be
worth much these days

                 Do NOT delete it.