cups-1.5.4-18.fc17 & /etc/cups/cups-files.conf

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Wed Mar 6 01:40:33 UTC 2013

Everyone,

The f17 update of cups to cups-1.5.4-18.fc17 on Feb 25th caused cups to
fail to start.  This update had some security updates with a creation of
a new file /etc/cups/cups-files.conf that apparently can not be written
to by cupsd.

Log errors demonstrated that the lack ssl certificates on this unit
caused cupsd to fail.  I commented the certificates out of
the /etc/cups-files.conf file, and got cups to start, but I still could
not get it to communicate with the cups print server on the network.

I finally gave up and added the line :

ServerName cupsserver.domain.com

to the /etc/cups/client.conf file and was able to get printer service to
this unit.

Has anyone else had this problem and found the solution other than the
use of the client.conf file.

Greg Ennis