F18 problem moving directory data between machines

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 7 11:16:49 UTC 2013

Tim:
>> Or some other-than-Nautilus GUI tool.  Nautilus is semi-okay as a
>> file browser, but is too simple for proper file management.  I found
>> emelfm2 to be a good alternative.

Paul Erickson:
> Thanks very much. I have it installed, just have to figure out how to
> get it to point to the other computer on the network.

If you're using NFS, and have autofs set up on the client, then you can
browse to /net/remote-computer-hostname/exported-directory-name.

There's probably something similar for Samba, but I found Samba so
irritating that I haven't used it for years (a Windows networking scheme
bludgeoned into Linux).

Other GUI tools, like the KDE Konqueror, which I haven't used for years,
let you use various different protocols to access remote shares, by
specifying the protocol before the path, rather like you do in a web
browser (e.g. http://example.com/ or ftp://example.com/).  I think Samba
used the smb:// prefix.

If you've mounted the remote share, then you just browse to the mount
point for it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.7.9-104.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 24 19:19:12 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.