texlive

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Mar 7 14:03:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 13:34:48 +0000 Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Patrick Dupre
> <Patrick.Dupre at univ-littoral.fr> wrote:
>
> > I installes texlive2012,
> > but apparently the fonts are not installed!
> > In additon, when I make,
> >
> > rpm -ql texlive
> > I get:
> > (contains no files)
> >
> > while:
> > rpm -q texlive
> > texlive-2012-16.20130205_r29034.fc18.x86_64
> >
> > Whould I finish the install manually?
>
> TeX under Fedora is frankly a joke these days :-( I don't know if
> there's currently a maintainer. Certainly no one's responding to
> critical bug reports. ConTeXt is literally unusable out of the box (as
> in, it doesn't run at all), which make typesetting my books
> problematic. I'm currently editing them on my box, and then
> typesetting them on my girlfriend's box, which is running an older
> version of Fedora, which does at least have a working texexec.

Never used ConTeXt, but my experience, and I use LaTeX everyday
(sometimes every waking hour) is to the contrary. There are a lot of
sty files that have been broken up now, but that involves installing
the corresponding texlive-*.sty: a bit frustrating at times perhaps, but
this was supposed to happen as per the texlive-2012 proposal (and since
this is a one-time installation deal) not a big deal at all.

I do keep track of whatever I install so that in the future, if I
install texlive somewhere else, I just cut and paste a line and don't
miss the sty's. Currently, that line stands at:

sudo yum install
texlive-{subfigure,biblatex,bbm-macros,subfig,multirow,comment,relsize,arydshln,was,wrapfig,lastpage,endfloat,nonfloat,mathabx,mathabx-type1}

So, I am a pretty satisfied customer wrt LaTeX on Fedora.

Hopefully I am not speaking too soon!
Ranjan