texlive

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 18:56:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-07 at 10:40 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 05:34 AM, Tethys wrote:
> > TeX under Fedora is frankly a joke these days :-( I don't know if
> > there's currently a maintainer. Certainly no one's responding to
> > critical bug reports. ConTeXt is literally unusable out of the box (as
> > in, it doesn't run at all), which make typesetting my books
> > problematic. I'm currently editing them on my box, and then
> > typesetting them on my girlfriend's box, which is running an older
> > version of Fedora, which does at least have a working texexec.
>
> There are other FOSS options for this, you know.  If you don't mind
> migrating from a markup language to a GUI, you might consider Scribus.
> I've had good luck with it on small projects, and I know that there are
> professionals out there using it for magazines and books.

That might work for some projects, but generally speaking people using
TeX/LaTeX are concerned about finer control of typesetting, especially
when it comes to mathematical material. TeX/LaTeX is the gold standard
for this. To paraphrase Brian Kernighan, the trouble with WYSIWYG is
that it usually means What You See Is *All* You Get.

poc