make that wmv (WAS Re: is there a way to convert an mp4 video to wav in Fedora - and I have a very old Fedora 13)

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Mar 7 23:17:17 UTC 2013

Reindl,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 07.03.2013 23:08, schrieb Darlene Wallach:
>>> the last supported version is F17
>>> you would need ffmpeg
>>
>> I have:
>> Installed Packages
>> ffmpeg.i686                  0.6-3.fc13                  @rpmfusion-free-updates
>
> and nobody of the ffmpeg developers wil give
> you any support for this stone old version
>
>>> but you are at your own because you do not care
>>> to hold your OS in a supported state for years
>>
>> I need my laptop for work and I need LaTeX - I heard there were issues
>> with TeXLive so have held off installing newer Fedoras - have also
>> heard of difficulties with the Anaconda installer
>
> so install CentOS and hope someone is baking you
> a recent ffmpeg for it or try to build ffmpeg at
> your own
>
> F13 is not supported since years
>
> if you install Fedora you know since forever that there
> is all 6 months a new version and no support for longer
> than a year - so what do you expect?

I'm not complaining. I'm only asking if there is a way for me to
convert an mp4 video to wmv

It looks like ffmpeg is what I need and perhaps I just don't know the
correct way to use ffmpeg or perhaps the version I have doesn't have
that capability.

Perhaps my ill use of duckduckgo.com in searching for the commands to
convert is the problem.

I appreciate your taking the time to read my email and then to reply.

Darlene Wallach

> --

equal justice under law