Panic when doing shutdown or reboot

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 7 23:21:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-07 at 15:17 -0500, Bill Perkins wrote:
> The panic message displays on the console before the system freezes.
> You need to boot your Fedora system without the "rhgb quiet" at the end
> of the linux boot line in order to see all of the details, or hit the
> ESC key at the right point in time during boot or shutdown.

Removing "rhgb quiet" from the boot line is a very good idea.  It's a
lot more fun to watch the messages flash by under the 4 penguins than to
watch a more or less empty screen.  Unfortunately, the system puts the
monitor to sleep after system shutdown, and the screen goes blank.  I
*think* I see messages about unmounting file systems and that I don't
see a panic message, but I'm not sure.

I'll try to find a monitor setting to keep the screen from going blank
when it receives no signal.  Any advice would be welcome: the monitor is
an Acer P243W)

Thanks - jon