Thunderbird does not respect the default browser setting. [SOLVED]

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Mar 9 12:22:37 UTC 2013

On 03/09/13 19:38, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 09/03/13 12:10, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Changing this mimeapps.list does nothing. There are two defaults.list on my system: In /usr/local/share/applications/ and in /usr/share/applications/
>>>
>>> Changing defaults.list only works in /usr/share/applications/ and copying it to $HOME/.local/share/applications/ has no effect either.
>>>

>> I should mention I'm running KDE.  If you are using GNOME, you may want to try installing gconf-editor and checking the settings for desktop-->gnome-->url-handlers-->http  and  https.
>>
> I am actually running XFCE.

OK....  I just happen to have a system on which I've not run xfce.  When I clicked on the browser icon on the panel it informed me my default browser wasn't configured.  So, I chose /usr/bin/google-chrome.

The action of doing that modified several files....

~/.config/xfce4/helpers.rc  was created and contains the line

WebBrowser=custom-WebBrowser

Then ~/.local/share/xfce4/helpers/custom-WebBrowser.desktop  was created and it contains

[egreshko at f18x helpers]$ cat custom-WebBrowser.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
NoDisplay=true
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=X-XFCE-Helper
X-XFCE-Category=WebBrowser
X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=/usr/bin/google-chrome "%s"
Icon=google-chrome
Name=google-chrome
X-XFCE-Commands=/usr/bin/google-chrome

There is also a google-chrome.desktop in that same directory but it was created back in January and I think created when I installed chrome on that system.