Thunderbird does not respect the default browser setting. [SOLVED]

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Mar 9 13:25:34 UTC 2013

On 03/09/13 20:46, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> OK, I see the same files but they do nothing with regard to launching google-chrome from links in thunderbird.

I see.....

Well, my test system has multiple desktops installed.  I'd mainly run KDE and sometimes GNOME on it and I just tested and a clicked link in TBird does bring up chrome.  None of the system specific files have been altered.  So, there is a per user setting that Tbird is using.

All I can tell you is this.  Running xfce....

If ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list contains this....

[Added Associations]
text/html=google-chrome.desktop
x-scheme-handler/magnet=ktorrent.desktop;transmission-gtk.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/http=exo-web-browser.desktop
x-scheme-handler/https=exo-web-browser.desktop

[Default Applications]
text/html=google-chrome.desktop
x-scheme-handler/magnet=ktorrent.desktop
x-scheme-handler/http=google-chrome.desktop
x-scheme-handler/https=google-chrome.desktop
x-scheme-handler/about=google-chrome.desktop
x-scheme-handler/unknown=google-chrome.desktop

Chrome is started when I click on a link in TBird

If I modify that file to contain only this....

[Added Associations]
text/html=google-chrome.desktop
x-scheme-handler/magnet=ktorrent.desktop;transmission-gtk.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/http=exo-web-browser.desktop
x-scheme-handler/https=exo-web-browser.desktop

Then firefox is started when a link is clicked in TBird.