fedup @ System Upgrade - time to complete?

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sat Mar 9 21:02:54 UTC 2013

Greetings,

My initial effort at using fedup on my desktop (basic dual-core setup)
failed with some sort of error message (I posted this previously, and
apparently on bugzilla has indicated that it is a known bug).

I have successfully used fedup (F17 -> F18) on an i386 laptop (I've also
done a fresh F18 install on an x68_64 laptop). So, I've gotten through
this.

I saw that there was a fedup upgrade in updates-testing; it has been there
for some time.

I installed the updates-testing version of fedup on my desktop, and then
proceeded with an F17->F18 upgrade.

All required packages have been download (about 4100).

I've rebooted (per instructions), hit "System Upgrade" on the GRUB menu.

I then hit <ESC> so that I could see the messages to the screen instead of
the thermometor reading (it's in the FedUp Wiki page).

It's now at: upgrade-re[712]: starting upgrade-pre hook

It's been at this point for some time; the harddrive like is flickering
away throughout.

My question is, how long should I expect this processs to continue before
I get
Upgrade[712]: Preparing for upgrade ...

and all of the subsequent messages that I've gotten during the one prior
successful execution of fedup (that I referenced above).

Much thanks,

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com