fedup @ System Upgrade - time to complete? - on different sources

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sat Mar 9 22:01:23 UTC 2013

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 09.03.2013 22:50, schrieb Max Pyziur:
>> On this upgrade go-around (F17->F18) the challenges in the process have been more elevated (I now have an unuseable
>> machine because of this; I'd like to go through some recovery and I *do* rely on this list as a primary
>> resource for that). For me, ther have probably been more frustrating upgrades. And at this point, I'm savvy enough
>> to have backups and redundancy.
>
> the problem is that you used a testing-package
> consider how oftne someone makes a dist-upgrade at all
> now think about how many did it with updates-testing's fedup
> now think about how many are doing upgrades with yum
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
> this worked for me several hundrets of times, even in production
>
> but since you are screwed up youre setup i fear you
> are at your own

Thanks Reindl.  I am familiar with the yum procedure and have used it
several times: sometimes it has worked, sometimes it has failed. When the
latter, then there is a period (several hours) of tedium of trying to
unravel all of the failing dependencies.

And I understand that updates-testing is well, updates-testing. You don't
need to make the point a second time.

This sort of reprimanding isn't particularly helpful. If the Fedora
community has staked out a position that FedUp is to be a core feature,
then I, as someone, who willingly participates in being on this bleeding
edge, would like some advice on the resources that are available to me to
unwind this dilemma.

Thank you.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com