Curious "sleep" experience

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 10 09:17:08 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 09 March 2013, Richard Vickery sent:
> I have never known how to wake from either the wake or hibernate
> commands.

Simply turning the computer on, should wake from hibernate.  The
computer wills /start/ to boot in the normal way, but at the very start
of the booting process, Linux will check whether it should be resuming,
and resume if it can.  It boots up using a memory dump in the swap
partition.  (When you sent the computer to sleep, beforehand, the memory
was dumped to the swap partition.  When hibernated, the computer can be
completely powered off.)

How you turn the computer on will depend on your computer.  If, when
suspending, it keeps the keyboard power running, and the BIOS is set to
wake up on keyboard events, merely pressing a key should do it.  Other
events can be used to wake up the computer, such as mouse presses.  But,
if no wake events are configured, simply turning on the power will do.

Suspending, on the other hand, does its resume from what's held in RAM.
So the RAM needs power while suspended.  And, I suspect, dynamic RAM
should need the motherboard to keep it refreshed.  So the motherboard
needs to be kept powered, and in a special suspend mode.  If power is
lost, the next wakeup will be a normal boot.  To resume from the suspend
mode, the computer does need some way for you to send a wake signal.  As
before, usually the keyboard.  It's possible that a soft power switch
may wake it up, but it's also possible that pressing it mayn't help.

Have a look through all of your BIOS options for wake configurations,
suspend options, and other power management settings.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.7.9-104.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 24 19:19:12 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.