Status of Fedup'ng F17->F18; when in doubt, yum upgrade ...

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sun Mar 10 23:27:07 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

> On 03/10/2013 03:36 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>>
>>  Greetings,

[...]

>>  At this point, I think that it's fair to say that F18 has been the most
>>  challenging of all for me since F2: this fedup experience, coupled with
>>  mis-matched release of Postgresql 9.2 and PostGIS 1.5.
>>
>>  Max Pyziur
>>  pyz at brama.com
>>
> I can only hope that the transitions from F18 to 19....to 20....etc. are a
> lot less painful than THIS sounds! I had the most troubel going from 16 to
> 17.,.....but my move from 17 to 18 wasn't anywhere near as problematic as
> THIS!

As I mentioned previously and to clarify here, this is the third machine
that I've had to setup/move to F18
  - the first was a fresh install on x64 Dell Latitude D630; since only one
disk needed to be partitioned (there is a problem if more than one), so
the install went flawlessly.
  - the second was an i386 Dell Inspiron 600m; fedup worked flawlessly
  - this third one, a home-build dual-core,failed consistently using fedup,
and failed on a fresh install (the more than one disk issue).

However, the frustration comes more into play, seeing that in F18 PostGIS
1.5 is distributed along with PostgreSQL 9.2. If you look at the PostGIS
Wiki, it says that two will not work together.

Enough from me on this.

Can you tell me how to gussie-up my Xfce panels; or do I need to learn how
to use google?

;-)

> EGO II

MP