Grub2/Grub2 Themes Usage Issues

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Mar 11 00:25:05 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 07:27 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have activated the usage of the Starfield theme for grub2 in
> Fedora 17 and I am having issues with it.
>
>     1). Scrolling through the list of entries in the menu at boot time
> is horribly slow. Every time I scroll with the arrow keys the screen
> flashes black and it takes several seconds for the next/previous entry
> to be highlighted.
>     2). I have just upgraded from from an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT to an
> Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 (this is a PCI-E 3 card plugged into a PCI-E 2
> slot) and now I can see the graphics for the theme being drawn on the
> screen as I watch, whereas with the 9800 the screen draw was
> instantaneous. The issue highlighted in point 1) occurs independently
> of the graphics card in terms of the same thing happens with both
> graphics cards.
>     3). When I do an upgrade that upgrades the kernel the upgrade
> process tries to update the grub2 config and mbr but is unable to
> because /sbin/grubby fails with an access denied error even though I
> am effectively running in root mode via sudo (implemented via the
> wheel group). I have also tried this after switching to root mode via
> su but that fails with the same error.
>     4). Because of the error highlighted in point 3, when upgrading
> the kernel, I have to manual run a grub2-mkconfig and grub2-install to
> update grub and this process rebuilds the Starfield's Theme.txt file
> back to the defaults from the manual customization I have done from
> white/grey bold text. The black/black bold text does not work for me
> on the Starfield background.

Just a further note. I have now upgraded my monitor from a 17" 1280x1024
screen to a 20" 1600x900 widescreen monitor and since changing the
resolution in grub to 1600x900 the speed issues seem to have been
improved significantly, but the quality of the display was significantly
better with the 1280x1024 resolution.

regards,
Steve