About that installer...

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Mon Mar 11 12:23:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013, Tim wrote:

> Allegedly, on or about 11 March 2013, Dan Irwin sent:
>> The installer won't let me install. It won't find free space. It won't
>> shrink partitions.
>>
>> I even dropped to a shell, and used fdisk to blow away my windows 7
>> partition, and the installer still doesn't work properly!
>
> I haven't tried Fedora 18, but are you getting snagged by the old issue
> of users think an formatted partition is "free space," but the installer
> wants to find completely unused space on the drive (i.e. don't make a
> new partition, delete one, and leave it deleted).

In the F18 installer this correct.

In the F17 installer you can choose existing partitions, choose whether or
not to reformat them, etc.

In the F18 one, you can't use existing partitions. You also can't use more
than one disk, at least in my experience.

If your target is F18, do a 'Minimal Install' in F17, creating the
partitions that are suitable to your needs, then yum upgrade from there.

This linked, along w/ rpm script there, proved very useful to me:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_17_-.3E_Fedora_18

Once on F18 w/ a minimal install, you can begin adding the groups that you
want/favor.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com