F18 Installation problem

Vinny Onelli vonelli1 at optimum.net
Mon Mar 11 20:09:59 UTC 2013

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 10:15:46 +1100
> From: Roger <arelem at bigpond.com>
> To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Subject: Re: F18 Installation problem
>
> On 03/04/2013 01:58 AM, Vinny Onelli wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am try to install F18 on Dell Dimension 8300 containing 2 HD 120 GB
> > for windows XP and 350 GB containing F17. I first tried to install F18
> > from a downloaded iso file, it shows an error when select the 350 GB HD
> > apparently it thing that there is not enough space, I intended to
> > replace the existing F17 but there is not such choice. I also tried to
> > install using the live dvd, but it shows the same problem.
> > Help would be greatly appreciate, Thank you in advance. Vinny
> >
> Yes that's what is happening, there is not enough space.
> Because fedora 17 is installed, the installer cannot find any space for
> fedora 18 even though there may well be lots of space.
> And unfortunately it won't overwrite another fedora and won't write to
> an empty formatted partition.
> The only way I could get fedora 18 installed in a partition was to use
> my other hard drive which has fedora 16  and delete the empty partition
> on the other hard drive on which I wanted to install fedora 18.
> I'm guessing you have LVM and it uses all available space. If so, the
> other option is to go thru the boring, convoluted and dangerous option
> of shrinking LVM partition. I never got game enough to tackle that.
> Roger

I used fdisk to unpartition the drive that had F17, then tried to
install F18. The installation wend thru without hitch, but now I can't
boot windows or F18 these are the message on bootup:
Error:no such device: 62a84f10-a778-47c1-bd21-17ce241f40aa
Entering rescue mode ....
grub rescue>
Can any one Help?