About that installer...

Dan Irwin rummymobile at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 23:17:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.
<eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Only because you have data on there is why you're trying it this way? My
> sister had a similar problem, but the solution was so left-of-center that I
> just had to have her do it again on a spare machine JUST to see it for
> myself. Basically all she did was:
> Set the PC to get Fedora to boot from the CD-ROM drive
> Installed a "standard" version of Windows 7 on it. (Which created the MBR /
> NTFS files system etc
> The after it had finished, she installed Fedora 18 on the same machine
> (overwriting the Windows 7 of course!) and the machine formatted itself
> perfectly
>
> Don't know if there's something wonky with your HDD?...maybe you need to
> have it "blown away" using something like System Rescue CD?...or CloneZilla
> (I know..it says CLONE...but it's also got some disk formatting tools on it
> as well that might be useful!)

I think all of these arguments are moot. The installer (specifically,
partitioning) is badly broken in F18 compared to F17, F16, or pretty
much any other fedora version.

Fact is, F17 behaved as expected, and I didn't even need to review
partitioning after telling it to resize /dev/sda3 (NTFS).

The only thing wonky here is fedora or redhat's strategy to kill off
old anaconda, and re-write it, without thoroughly testing it.

Remember when debian replaced their installer? They beta tested it for
years before it became the default installer (in what, debian 4 or 5?)

Cheers