About that installer...

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 01:35:53 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 07:17 PM, Dan Irwin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.
> <eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Only because you have data on there is why you're trying it this way? My
>> sister had a similar problem, but the solution was so left-of-center that I
>> just had to have her do it again on a spare machine JUST to see it for
>> myself. Basically all she did was:
>> Set the PC to get Fedora to boot from the CD-ROM drive
>> Installed a "standard" version of Windows 7 on it. (Which created the MBR /
>> NTFS files system etc
>> The after it had finished, she installed Fedora 18 on the same machine
>> (overwriting the Windows 7 of course!) and the machine formatted itself
>> perfectly
>>
>> Don't know if there's something wonky with your HDD?...maybe you need to
>> have it "blown away" using something like System Rescue CD?...or CloneZilla
>> (I know..it says CLONE...but it's also got some disk formatting tools on it
>> as well that might be useful!)
>>
> I think all of these arguments are moot. The installer (specifically,
> partitioning) is badly broken in F18 compared to F17, F16, or pretty
> much any other fedora version.
>
> Fact is, F17 behaved as expected, and I didn't even need to review
> partitioning after telling it to resize /dev/sda3 (NTFS).
>
> The only thing wonky here is fedora or redhat's strategy to kill off
> old anaconda, and re-write it, without thoroughly testing it.
>
> Remember when debian replaced their installer? They beta tested it for
> years before it became the default installer (in what, debian 4 or 5?)
>
> Cheers
I agree with you that it might have been better if they just "revamped"
Anaconda and made it LOOK different while keeping the same structure
underneath, but you have to admit its way better than having someone
decide FOR you what your partitions are going to be...LoL! I just hope
that "this is it" when it comes to their installers.....can't they keep
this for the next 10 or 20 versions of Fedora without changing it? I
wonder if that's even possible!...

EGO II