DenyHosts

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Wed Mar 13 13:13:30 UTC 2013

Yeah, I run it.  It works.

The only problem I have with it is that I have a script to use rsync to backup some directories on a virtual machine to a local machine.  Every time that happens, denyhosts adds the virtual machine to the hosts.deny list on the local machine.  I don't get it.  So, after every remote backup, I have to delete the remote machine from the file.  It's not that big a deal, and it's easier to manually modify hosts.deny than it is to find where the problem is...

I have to say, though, that simply moving the ssh port away from 22 took care of 99.99% of the scripted attacks that I was getting.  I've had one or two since then, but they followed an honest-to-god port scan.  I'd disable password authentication if it were practical for my user's habits, but I tried it with a couple of road warriors and it just didn't fly.

Have you tried to invoke it by failing your login multiple times?

billo