Apache httpd instability?

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 13 13:32:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Georgios Petasis <petasisg at yahoo.gr> wrote:
> Something is causing these "restarts". How can I debug this?

Having had my fair share of Apache problems lately, here's my method
for tracking down these restarts:

1) Create a directory for Apache to store its core files in.  For me,
I created /var/www/segfault

2) Add the following line to your apache configuration, and restart apache:

CoreDumpDirectory /var/www/segfault

3) Make sure your core limit is set to allow core files to be created.
 Check the output of "ulimit -a", and change it with something like
"ulimit -c unlimited".  You probably need to restart Apache after
changing this as well.

4) Wait for the restarts to happen, and see if Apache creates core
files in your directory.  They're typically named something like
core.12345, where 12345 is the process ID of the program that crashed.
 If you get a core file, use gdb to analyze it and get a backtrace.
Type "gdb /usr/sbin/httpd core.12345", and then once in gdb type "bt"
to get the backtrace.

5) Open a bug report in bugzilla against the httpd package with the
backtrace, and hope the package maintainer can help you track down the
issue.

--
Jared Smith