rsync between NFS servers -

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Mar 13 16:54:12 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 09:45 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA issued this
missive:
> On 13/03/13 10:46, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> Well, the best thing to do is not get NFS involved at all, do the
>> rsync directly between the machines hosting the different directories.

I concur. NFS puts certain restrictions on things that you may not want
and NFS is not the fastest protocol to use--especially if you're writing
to the NFS server.

> Those servers don't normally have keyboards or displays. I can always
> deal with that but don't want to do it often. What I really need is a
> script that I could start via ssh, probably on box8 the source, that
> would rsync box48 to it.

Try to set up rsync daemons on the various boxes (man rsyncd.conf).
Set up "hosts allow" and "hosts deny" options for the various modules
(directories) you want involved to restrict rsync access. You can also
set up user/password stuff and either have rsync run in daemon mode or
from xinetd. We use it a TON.

-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -