Error messages on Boot due to F17->F18 upgrade

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Wed Mar 13 19:59:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Jorge Martínez López wrote:

> Hi!
>
> 2013/3/12 Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com>:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Apparently this is a consistent bug. I, myself, have two machines displaying
>> this, the only two that went through an upgrade.
>>
>> There is discussion and suggestions for a user-oriented fix here:
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=287584
>>
>> Is this the way to remedy this, or will there be a bug-fix release
>> distributed as an RPM?
>
> I believe it has been discussed before, you need to replace
>
> SYSFONT=... for vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16
> KEYTABLE=... for vconsole.keymap=en (<-- Your locale)
>
> In /etc/default/grub
>
> And run grub2-mkconfig

Much thanks for the advice.

After making sense of an /etc/default/grub on a fresh F18 install, I
copied it to one of my upgraded-to-F18 machines (keeping the original
grub file elsewhere).

I ran grub2-mkconfig, but didn't see a change to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

I don't know what's designed or a bug here, but I outputed the results of
grubg2-mkconfig to a file, and then copied it to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg,
making sure to keep the original grub.cfg elsewhere.

I rebooted the machine and it seems that the error messages are gone, and
I get a standard issue F18 splash screen on bootup.

What I described was not in any of the instructions I had read elsewhere.

I'm just concerned that it didn't follow the letter of instructions that
were given.

Or is that just too much neurosis?

MP
pyz at brama.com