Is gnome-disks really incapable of dealing with a blank drive?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 12:02:08 UTC 2013

I popped in my new 4TB drive yesterday and tried to use
gnome-disks to create a giant ext4 partition.

I couldn't find any option anywhere to create partitions,
I only found options to format, so I figured that would
implicitly create the partitions.

But no, it formatted /dev/sdc as an ext4 filesystem
(NOT /dev/sdc1).

Am I missing something, or is the gnome-disks utility
really this useless?

I eventually wrote a few megabytes of zeroes over the
top of it then used gparted instead to create a new
gpt partition table and make /dev/sdc1 (finally) an
ext4 partition.