replace grub (not grub2)

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Thu Mar 14 19:08:03 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have two different boot drives, one occupied by f18 and one by f14.

f18 uses grub2.
f14 used grub.

When I installed f18 xen it replaced grub with grub2 on the f14 system.
  Needless to say, my f14 xen system is no longer bootable.

I want to reinstall grub and its MBR but grub-install is no longer
available in f18: replaced by grub2.

Searches on this return ancient results, most of which refer to DOS and
Windows.

What is the "modern" way to return the MBR to the old fashioned grub
boot loader?

Thanks for any help,
Mike Wright

(making me laugh here: i remember lilo and thought it would be the death
of me)
-------

Every step forward comes from one foot in the past.