Reliable way to determine native packaging system

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Thu Mar 14 22:33:13 UTC 2013

On 14.03.2013 19:25, Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:

> Yes I imagined that detecting /var/lib/rpm was one way to deal with
> the problem (but not /etc/*-release as this is exactly what I want to
> avoid: having to map distributions to packaging system).

Maybe you have your reasons that I don't understand but package
management is distribution related. Generally Linux distributions are
built around package managers. There are rpm based ones like Fedora, RH,
SuSE and deb based like Debian, Ubuntu. There is opkg in OpenWRT and
something that I can't remember right now in Arch. So package management
is tightly related to Linux distro. Detecting Linux distribution is
easier than searching for rpm or dpkg commands and checking if they are
dominant package managers on the system.

Mateusz Marzantowicz