Gnome 3 in fallback mode for no apparent reason

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 01:36:46 UTC 2013

Hi all,
this morning when turning on my workstation (Fedora 18, 64 bit) it
started Gnome 3 in fallback mode.
I had shut it down the evening before while running in "full" mode and
not made any change to the system: nor (known) configuration changes
nor updates installed.

Since that's pretty much unusable, I switched to my laptop to get some
work done: also Fedora 18, 64 bit, also usually running Gnome3 in full
UI. It also booted in fallback mode!?

In both systems, which where both running fine the previous day, I
can't get it to run in enhanced mode anymore.
I tried:
 - rebooting
 - reverting last updates using yum history (even though I'm pretty
sure these where older than the symptoms)
 - creating and logging in with a newly created user

In both cases I can't get it to run in full mode anymore; any advice?
where can I find logs for a possible reason?

The only common element I see in the two systems is that both have an
NVidia video card and I'm forced to use the proprietary drivers
because of other issues,
but this worked pretty well so far.

I'm very puzzled this problem came out of the blue after it had worked
very well on both systems for months, at the same time on two
independend systems.

-- Sanne