F-18 CDROM problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 16 08:42:11 UTC 2013

On 15/03/13 20:00, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> I installed an "optical drive" in this F-18/64 XFCE computer and it is
> apparently recognized by several applications however I don't see an
> icon come up on the desktop when I put a cdrom in the drive. The same
> disk works as expected in a similar F-18 computer.
>
> When I put the disk in the drive the light flickers for a while and
> then stops, no icon appears, and it is reluctant to eject.
>
> [bobg at box10 ~]$ ll /dev/sg1
> crw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 21, 1 Mar 16  2013 /dev/sg1
>
> I don't know how to troubleshoot this so any help is appreciated.
>
> Bob

Another indication, I get:

[root at box10 bobg]# mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sg1  /mnt/cdrom
mount:  /dev/sg1 is not a block device

I suppose the drive could be defective but I would like to know I'm
doing everything right before I pursue that path.

--

http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box10   Fedora-18 XFCE Linux