Creating an rpm from scratch

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Mar 16 17:45:04 UTC 2013

On 03/15/2013 09:52 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Sounds like NO, there has been progress in documentation since 2.5 days,
> but sounds like it all has to be created by hand in terms of scripts,
> spec files, etc. Thanks, but if it hasn't gotten less time consuming in
> 12-15 years, let it be someone else's time.

I started using rpm and building packages back in '97.  I'm sure that my
inexperience made it more time consuming back then then it should have
been, but I definitely think it's less time consuming now than it was.

I saw that you were given one of the links to Fedora's rpm
documentation.  There's a larger collection organized starting here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Package_Maintainers?rd=PackageMaintainers

With the simple guide here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_GNU_Hello_RPM_package

The rpmdev tools simplify most of the boilerplate stuff.  mock will help
you keep devel packages out of your system, and help ensure various
quality checks.  There's a package named eclipse-rpm-editor which, if
installed, will add spec file support to Eclipse (which will also be
installed if it isn't currently).

You'll never get completely away from editing a text file (the spec)
while working with rpm.  I've worked with other installers, like NSIS,
and to date I've never seen any that are notably easier to use than rpm.
  If you really want something simpler than rpm, consider:

   ./configure
   make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/package-buildroot
   cd /var/tmp/package-buildroot
   tar Jcf /var/tmp/package-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar.xz .