Creating an rpm from scratch

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Mar 16 20:26:49 UTC 2013

On 03/16/2013 03:13 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 03/15/2013 09:52 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> Sounds like NO, there has been progress in documentation since 2.5
>>> days,
>>> but sounds like it all has to be created by hand in terms of scripts,
>>> spec files, etc. Thanks, but if it hasn't gotten less time consuming in
>>> 12-15 years, let it be someone else's time.
>>
>> I started using rpm and building packages back in '97.  I'm sure that my
>> inexperience made it more time consuming back then then it should
>> have been, but
>> I definitely think it's less time consuming now than it was.
>>
>> I saw that you were given one of the links to Fedora's rpm
>> documentation.
>> There's a larger collection organized starting here:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Package_Maintainers?rd=PackageMaintainers
>>

>> With the simple guide here:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_GNU_Hello_RPM_package
>>
>> The rpmdev tools simplify most of the boilerplate stuff.  mock will
>> help you
>> keep devel packages out of your system, and help ensure various
>> quality checks.
>> There's a package named eclipse-rpm-editor which, if installed, will
>> add spec
>> file support to Eclipse (which will also be installed if it isn't
>> currently).
>>
>> You'll never get completely away from editing a text file (the spec)
>> while
>> working with rpm.  I've worked with other installers, like NSIS, and
>> to date
>> I've never seen any that are notably easier to use than rpm.  If you
>> really want
>> something simpler than rpm, consider:
>>
>>    ./configure
>>    make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/package-buildroot
>>    cd /var/tmp/package-buildroot
>>    tar Jcf /var/tmp/package-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar.xz .
>>

> Actually I'm spoiled using RPMcreator years ago, it just asked
> questions and did the rest.
>
> But in this case, I'm dealing with people who didn't even have tar and
> make installed, and expect that if I donated the programming I should
> donate support, too. Oh, and they still remind me I haven't made a
> money donation this year.

Downloaded rpm1.0.0.078.i386.rpm
Got dependency: rpmdevtools, so downloaded that and unpacked it to:
rpmdevtools-6.4, whihc is still in Download directory.
Tried again: rpm -Uvh rpm1*.rpm and still got
[doug at linux1 Downloads]$ sudo rpm -Uvh rpm1*.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
         rpmdevtools is needed by RPMCreator-1.0-78.i386

so now what?

Thanx for the answer--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.  A.M. Greeley