Accented characters are now shown correctly on Thunar and on Terminal

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 17 16:18:52 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 08:46 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> My locale command produces the following:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
> $

Looks normal, to me.  Looking at another reply in this thread, makes me
wonder if the files were originally written using that locale before you
imported them, or something was happening to them during the import.

UTF8 has been the default for a very long time, I can't recall how old
it'd have to be before something else was.

What file system were they stored in?  They haven't been through a
Windows file system, or through Samba?

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686