Accented characters are now shown correctly on Thunar and on Terminal

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sun Mar 17 17:55:19 UTC 2013

On 03/17/2013 04:13 PM, poma wrote:
> On 17.03.2013 15:42, Paul Smith wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Roberto. I get everything correct, likewise what you get. The
>> problem occurs with directories that I brought in from previous Fedora
>> installations. For example, I get the following in Thunar:
>>
>> Estat�stica (invalid encoding)
>>

> yum info convmv fuse-convmvfs
> yum install convmv fuse-convmvfs
> man convmv
> less /usr/share/doc/fuse-convmvfs-0.2.6/README

This is the right suggestion.

Try this:

ls -l /yourdir |iconv -f iso88591 -t utf8

and check if your filenames show up ok. If not, try with cp1252 instead of iso88591.

After you have discovered your previous encoding, use the convmv command
to rename the files.

Do not run convmv if you are not sure the source encoding (-f) is right, you
can make things more messy than they are.
Use the iconv trick to verify before running convmv.

(Let me guess, your files have been moved through a FAT filesystem, e.g. usb key?)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it