Installing ngspice 25

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 17 18:31:07 UTC 2013

I have been too spoiled by the rpm and yum processes.  Thank you fedora
developers...

I need to run the install script to put ngspice-25 on my system.  I know
that there is a default installation, but I do not know if that meets
the current directory structure for F17 or later.  Has anyone done this,
and how did you go about it?

I know I can pass -prefix  to change the binary directory, but from what
I can tell, /usr/local/bin would appear to be ok, and /usr/sbin would be
OK, but I cannot tell if the files that for ngspice-23
in /usr/share/ngspice would be replaced.  I cannot find the /usr/share
directory referenced in the config script.  I suspect that it is created
from the several variables referring to the directories in the script,
but I cannot tell which one it would be or where the files would end up
from using search on the 17000 line configure script.

Also do I need to uninstall ngspice-23?  I have several designs that
work under 23 and I am worried that -25 version may break some of them.
Therefore I would like to have both versions available for a short time
until I can verify my current stuff works under the -25 version.

Thanks for any information.

Regards,
Les H