LiveCD with Samsung F2FS ??

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 17:11:38 UTC 2013

Until now I' ve been using Linux Live USB creator (on windows) to
create pen drives out of Fedora livecd images
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

...mainly because I like its startup menu which allows to select
between normal LiveCD boot and ' persistant mode' which allows one to
save files to the pen drive' s ' desktop'  folder and changes (ie
firefox addons) are preserved between reboots.

It accomplishes this by setting a rw drive based on a so-called 'casper file'
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/faq/persistence/67-what-is-persistence

but for ' technical reasons'  -according to the devs- a 'casper file'
cannot be bigger than 4GB.

With 32GB pen drives now within the affordability realm (64gb a little
less so), you'd understand it's a bit silly to limit the 'persistant
mode' to 4GB of space.

So, with developments like Samsung's F2FS file system...

Samsung creates Flash-friendly open source file system F2FS
http://www.techspot.com/news/50428-samsung-creates-flash-friendly-open-source-file-system-f2fs.html

... and with apparently the last few f2fs improvements having made it
to the 3.9 kernel
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTMxMTU

So, any chance of getting rid of 'casper' and trade it for a fully RW
F2FS partition on the pen drive (as big as the pen drive allows) ?

I wonder if Fedora rawhide already includes F2FS support?.

Ideally, I'd just want ANY functional Linux & XFCE distro I can burn
on a big pen drive with full RW support using F2FS... (could be a
LiveCD with 'persistant partition' done with F2FS).

Thoughts? Comments? -TIA
FC

- George Orwell