External monitor not working in newer Kernels

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:56:44 UTC 2013

On 03/19/13 01:39, Thomas Waldecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my external monitor (HDMI) stopped to work after the update from
> kernel 3.7.8-202.fc18.i686
>
> I'm using MATE and with the System > Preferences > Monitor Preferences
> tool I'm trying to enable the second screen.
>
> The second screen is just black in kernel 3.8.3 and 3.8.2.
>
> Please let me know if you need some debugging info.
>
> Kind regards,
> Thomas Waldecker

I'm running mate on F18 and I cannot configure my monitor.  It shows up
as unknown with a resolution of 1280x1024 when the monitor is capable of
supporting 1920x1200.  In fact the monitor is plugged into a kvm switch
with 2 other systems, one running F14 and the other running F16.  The
F14 and F16 systems see the monitor and configure it correctly to
1920x1200.  I have filed bug 922596 on this.  It also fails with Gnome
3.0.  There it detects the monitor as laptop and sets the resolution to
1280x1024.  The monitor is actually a Gateway FPD2485W.

Paolo