I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 20:19:18 UTC 2013

On Mar 19, 2013 12:52 PM, "Temlakos" <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/19/2013 03:07 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 19.03.2013 19:38, schrieb Peter Gueckel:
>>>
>>> I have been looking at smartphones and tablets (I presently own
>>> neither, due to outrageous monthly fees and lengthy contracts), as
>>> I am starting to feel that I no longer want to do without mobility.
>>>
>>> However, how does Fedora fit into this? Is there a way to put
>>> Fedora onto a tablet or smartphone?
>>>
>>> Ubuntu offers an intriguing compromise, for users of an Android
>>> phone. Hook up a keyboard and monitor and run Ubuntu, so you don't
>>> exactly have your full system in your hand, but you _do_ have it in
>>> your pocket. Pretty cool, but it's not KDE-Fedora!
>>>
>>> How do you go about it?
>>
>> this direction is completly wrong
>> a smartphone is not the same as a desktop-computer
>>
>> terrible enough that these days way too much developers
>> designing interfaces while optimize them for phones and
>> tablets which is plain stupid
>>
>> yes - i use a Galaxy S3
>> but i would not come to this train: everywhere the same
>>

> Did you know that a consensus is rapidly developing that the present
environment, with desktops (or mini-towers) and laptops dominating, will
give place totally to The Cloud, where all data will reside, and you will
access it using a smartphone with the occasional auxiliary keyboard and
screen? And print to the nearest wireless print server? What advice will
you have for the worker in a multinational or Fortune 100 enterprise that
decides to build a private Cloud and expects its workers to maintain all
data on The Cloud and work with it using smartphones and tablets, to the
exclusion of mini-towers and laptops?

> By now you are wondering, I'm sure, /Was is los/? Here is an article by
Jason Perlow at ZDNet, outlining the new Cloud-ed future:

> http://www.zdnet.com/cloud-haters-you-too-will-be-assimilated-7000012059/
>
> Temlakos
>
> --

Before we look at phones, we ought to question whether these Ubuntu phones
are going to sell. Though, considering the other aside of the argument,
hand-held data devices are the way computing seems to be headed.