Auth failure with uid >= 1000 on fc18

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Mar 19 21:56:08 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 01:46 PM, Alex wrote:
> It sure is. How did you become so proficient with it?

I've been using LDAP and to some lesser extend KRB5 for a long-ish time.
  I've done my share of troubleshooting authentication issues during
that time.

> It's been around
> forever, but has never been very well documented. Do you use it
> regularly?

The man page for pam.conf actually has a good explanation of exactly
what the first column in the pam.conf files mean.  It can take a little
bit of time to understand.  On a certain level, it's similar to
iptables.  Once you can think about a stack of sequences, both of those
should make sense.  :)

> Thanks for the great explanation.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it helped.