I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 23:39:01 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 07:26 PM, Peter Gueckel wrote:
> Peter Gueckel wrote:
>
>> I have been looking at smartphones and tablets...
>>
>> How does Fedora fit into this? Is there a way to put
>> Fedora onto a tablet or smartphone?
>>
>> Ubuntu offers an intriguing compromise, for users of an Android
>> phone.
>>
>> How do you go about it?
> Good grief! I had no idea that this would result in such a heated
> exchange :-)
>
> As some have pointed out, the smartphone is a computer. Also, many
> users are giving up their desktop and laptop computers for
> smartphones and, sometimes, an additional tablet.
>
> Given this development, does Fedora have anything to offer them?
>
> So far in the discussion, the answer appears to be that it doesn't.
>
> Given this development, who will be using Fedora, if it cannot be
> used on the devices people nowadays are purchasing and using?

Good question. I think much depends on whether Android will live up to
its promise of being a genuine open-source OS, and Google, Inc. will not
try to hijack it in some way. I've already heard from an aggrieved user
who laments ever installing Google Chrome on his computer. (He runs
Windows.) He says the instance of Google Chrome abruptly destroyed his
installation of Mozilla Firefox. When he then tried to reinstall it,
Google Chrome said he was about to install an application infected with
a dangerous virus. Now I've heard of deliberate FUD-mongering, but this
is the limit.

And the relevancy? Google wrote Android.

Don't ask me about Windows for Smartphones, or iOS (for the iPhone and
iPad). You probably would advise parental judgment for anyone looking to
read my answer.

Here's another possibility: maybe the place of Fedora, in this future
world of Cloud-centric computing, Desktop as a Service, back-end
word-processing, back-end data storage, and the like, is that Fedora
will run the servers on private clouds. Anyone from a multinational
enterprise to a non-profit charity or even a political activist group
will try to build their own Cloud, to offer the convenience of mobile
computing with the security of traditional private desktops.

Temlakos