Help me make backups better on GNU/Linux

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Mar 20 01:01:57 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 05:13 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> The thing is to separate the snapshotting & the quiescing activities so
> that the quiescing works regardless of the snapshot technology being
> used.  Is this more or less what you're doing?

Yes!  It might be as simple as:

   for x in /usr/lib/snapshot/writers.d/*
   do
     test -x "$x" || continue
     "$x" quiesce
   done

... in the pre-freeze script, and the same loop with "resume" as an
argument in the post-thaw script.  I'd also like to see services that
need to quiesce their data ship with a script to handle that.