OT: Mail system trashes Swedish flag

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 20 06:41:47 UTC 2013

I've just completed the first exercise for using inkscape, which is to
draw a Swedish flag.  I saved it as a PDF and emailed it to a Swedish
friend, but all he got when he viewed the image was an empty rectangle.
It seems the trouble is that somewhere in the mail system, probably in
their Windows mail reader, text lines in the PDF were converted from
Unix style NL termination to DOS style CR/NL termination.  Sure enough
when I converted the file on my system using the command:

        unix2dos -n -f SwedishFlag.pdf SwedishFlag+cr.pdf

the output file displays as an empty box, using either okular or
acroread.

Does anyone know what's going on here, or how to send such a file to a
Windows machine without it's being trashed?

Many Thanks - jon