I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Jorge Martínez López jorgeml at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 09:00:56 UTC 2013

Hi!

2013/3/20 Peter Gueckel <pgueckel at gmail.com>:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> ...so you want to eliminate your desktop and laptop and move
>> to a single mobile platform with, ideally, Fedora as the
>> underlying OS. ...I don't see mobile platforms... as
>> exclusionary devices but complementary.
>
> I entertain the Bauhaus/Ikea/Zen philosophy of minimalism. All-in-
> one appeals to me from that aspect. I see that it might not yet be
> practical or even possible.

As many others have already said I don't think this will work.

A smartphone is great on the go because it is light, portable and
always available in your pocket.

A tablet is great to use at home (or in a plane) to write some short
emails or to watch a movie.

A computer is great when you need to do some serious work, i.e. a
spreedsheet or a project plan with thousands of line. CAD. Image
processing.

Every device has its purpose and it is suboptimal outside it.

The same with the tools you use at home. A hammer is not suitable for
the same things as the screwdriver.

I see no real advantage of running the same OS on all devices. The way
things are at the moment there is already a decent level of
integration. I can read the same emails in all devices. I can chat
with people on all devices and switch on the fly. My contacts and
calendars are automatically synchronized. I use some great apps in my
mobile and I use some great apps in my desktop computer.

Greetings,

--
Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml at gmail.com> http://www.jorgeml.net