OT: Mail system trashes Swedish flag

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 20 09:35:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 23:41 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I've just completed the first exercise for using inkscape, which is to
> draw a Swedish flag.  I saved it as a PDF and emailed it to a Swedish
> friend, but all he got when he viewed the image was an empty
> rectangle.  It seems the trouble is that somewhere in the mail system,

Check the MIME type that your mailer is sending it as.  It should be a
binary one specific to the actual file type.  And the file should be not
be converted, in any way, at either end.

However, if you're mistakenly sending it as a text/plain attachment,
mail systems may do whatever they usually do as text files go through
them, which can include translating line endings.

Likewise, if their end doesn't properly handle the type of attachment
that it's receiving.  Some systems label PDF files as simply being
application/octet-stream, which just means generic non-specific binary,
and some systems mishandle such files.

When you say you saved it as a PDF, are you actually saving as a PDF
filetype, or just tacking PDF onto the end of the filename?  Related to
that, are you sending a PDF file type without giving it a PDF filename?

How did you email it?  What mail program did you use?

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.