I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 20 11:55:53 UTC 2013

Am 20.03.2013 12:47, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> What is the advantage of running (K)Ubuntu or any other Linux distro on a
>> smartphone or tablet?
>
> I would find it a great advantage to run the same, or similar,
> OS's or DE's on laptop and phone, just for simplicity

it makes pretty no sense to use the same DE on a smartphone
this would mean cripple it down for desktop users or
have a unuseable one on the smartphone

why do people not realize this?

> For example, I would like to use KMail on my Samsung Galaxy S2,
> collecting mail through IMAP from my server

have fun with the desktop UI on a smartphone
K9 for android is far better optimized for the use-case

> I'd like to run Firefox on my phone,
> just because that is what I am familiar with.

it exists for Android and guess what:
it does not have the same UI for reasons above

> I find the sync-ing between phone and computer less than satisfactory.
> If both presented the same interface it would be much better (for me).

you BELIEVE it would be much better but ignore that any
application on a smartphone needs to realize the
envirnoment and come up with a different UI or it
will be unuseable

> I would consider going over to Ubuntu on laptop and phone
> if I were reasonably sure that would simplify my life

and you think you can use any application like OpenOffice
with the existing user-interface on WHATEVER OS on a
smartphone? how do you come to that conclusion?